We brew by a simple philosophy: give back to the environment and Mother Nature will be very good to you. That’s why:
- Spent grains from the brewing process feed local cattle on Old Mission Peninsula whose manure is then used to fertilize the hop and grain fields
- We buy hops from the local Old Mission Hop Exchange to support our local growers and ensure we use the freshest hops
- We use untreated water from our own well which has a nearly perfect pH of 7.1
- Our brewery employs a Clean-in-Place (CIP) system that filters and reclaims cleaning chemicals so that we can use them multiple times. When their useful life runs out, we dilute them so that there is no environmental impact whatsoever
- The brewing facility is lit by compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) to reduce energy consumption and is heavily insulated to contain heat
- We use high-quality bottles, which reduces the amount of breakage
- The water used to cool down the beer as it leaves the brewhouse goes back to the hot liquor tank and is used for the very next batch, thus recapturing nearly 100% of the heat out of the beer
- And more
It’s a simple approach — both environmentally and economically. By taking these steps, we can recapture as much heat, use as scant raw materials and waste as little as possible.
It just makes sense. Preserve our north woods. Preserve the money in your wallet.